Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Jupiter-9: Real Jupiter in my lens arsenal

View slideshow (Slide show of Jupiter-9 captures)

In more than last one year, I have collected or say accumulated 50+ manual focus lenses. These from as wide as Zenitar 16mm f2.8 to telephoto lens as unknown branded 400mm f6.3; from legendary Carl Zeiss Planar 50mm f1.7 to fast Super Takumar 50mm f1.4 to Nikkor-P 180mm f2.8.
But out of these are real gems. Standing proud and tall in these gems is Jupiter-9 85mm f2. This lens is M42 mount which I am using on my Canon Rebel XT/350D with M42->EOS adapter. The M42 mount Jupiter-9 lenses are black, some very rare (early) are silver in finishing. But mine is very different, it used to be one of the earliest M39 (39mm) mount lens, converted to M42 mount by earlier owner (from Russia).
But lens has some limitation (from its old age). If I rotate the aperture, it rotates the focusing ring too (The blue lines). This is the modified lens,

pic_le_f

But lens has its own class, little soft wide open.. horrible sharp stopped down...

Some resources on this lens,

http://m42.artlimited.net/lens_detail.php?lid=89
http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/russian_lens/jupiter/jupiter_9_85/
http://galactinus.net/vilva/retro/eos350d_jupiter-9.html

But all has details of black finished Jupiter-9 85mm f2.

Seems like, I am the only one with this lens
View slideshow

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This lens has a few MF lens fans but I'm afraid I have never seen it. I first tried a copy of the lens back in 1970s when it was one of the cheapest options for that FL. Along side it I put the Nikon 105 and the then newish Tamron f2.5 105mm I still have and use that Tamron 105mm and would stil have a Nikon 105mm if i was a Nikon user. I have had chance to try other examples of the Jupiter over the years, they are often seen fairly cheap in S/H sales and fairs. Maybe there are good and bad copies of this Russian lens, I have only found soft examples. The lens doesn't sharpen up till f8 at wider apertures sharpness falls off very badly from the centre. At f4 to wide open it is like using a lens with the old portrait trick of breathing on it. Shame about the fault with your own example but if you have a rare good example it could be worth bothering with.

asbalyan said...

Thanks...
I heard lot about Russian quality.. and yes, I have old Nikon Nikkor 105mm f2.5 lens too. Nikkor can beat this lens any day, its only the different quality which makes it different.
I will post some Nikkor results too...

Unknown said...

I always look for quality and durability when buying gadgets. The only cons is that the lens doesn't sharpen. But It's all worth it.

refurbished cisco switch